Re: Arch Mailing List queries

Hello,

>   There was a discussion of DKIM and mail list back last October [1].
> There was, and seems still is, an open mailman issue [2].
>
> The Arch thread is informative,  in particular around
> content-transfer-encoding. Perhaps this is helpful.

I believe I have read this thread already, but I will take a second
look.

As the mailman issue has yet to be resolved, there is not much which
can be done here unfortunately.

> Nope I don't mind -- 100% fine. I was just chucking at having the
> privilege to serve as the example :)

Well that is a relief.

I am glad you got some enjoyment out of it :D

> Just to say I may be out of date but I take ‘to spam’ to mean to send
> spam rather than classing ham as spam and spam-bucketing the email.
> :-)

People understood what I meant, no need to nitpick it :)

> as you can see in the headers, the MTA sending mails is not mailman
> itself, but Postfix.

Mailman hooks into postfix, it still has its own logic. Hence why DKIM
is being broken during the processing of the email.

> As I got your mail via IPv6, I think it's just the default behaviour
> of Postfix:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_address_preference
>
> As pointed out in the docs, setting ipv6 as preference is considered
> unsafe. As an IPv6 enthusiast, I had set my Postfix to ipv6 myself
> and remember some issues with broken MX.

It seems most of my mail is delivered via IPv6, I have checked this but
not with a large data set.

But it seems most of the emails received from lists.archlinux.org is
via IPv4, and the rare chance of IPv6 which is what I am finding is
weird.

https://serverfault.com/a/565123

This comment implies either Happy Eyeballs or a similar mechanism is
being used by postfix.

I have a friend who uses postfix and his mail server is configured dual
stack and his mail ALWAYS uses IPv6, he hasn't set a preference either.

Maybe Arch set IPv4 to be preferred and that is why?

> But that note is rather confusing. The setting is describes as the
> address family to try *first*. Not as the only address family to try
> at all. So something in the docs is wrong. It's either the note or
> the documented behavior.

Maybe something to ask the postfix developers about, and possibly write
a patch which better explains said mechanism?

Thanks for the help!

Take care,
--
Polarian