Arch Mailing List queries

Hello,

So I have two things I would like to address which I have realised:

Firstly is the fact that Arch Linux almost always picks IPv4 over IPv6
when delivery the mail. I am aware this is not a big issue because I
still receive the email but Arch Linux has full support for IPv6, and I
would like to have it used (especially for the hope in the future we
can all use single stack IPv6 and get rid of legacy IPv4).

I believe this is not an issue with Arch Linux, but the mailing list
software used (which I believe is mailman). I have discussed the same
issue with the Gajim developers on XMPP. I believe GNU mailman uses
Happy Eyeballs (like which Gajim uses) (more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs), which when I test it on
my network for about 200-300 attempts, IPv6 is picked 299/300 of the
times, so I should be seeing almost always IPv6, but I get the
opposite.

I assume GNU mailman uses the GNU python network library (forgot what
it is called) which contains a Happy Eyeballs implementation (the same
one Gajim uses). So there is a strong likelihood that it is an issue
with the library being biased towards picking IPv4 over IPv6, because I
do not have this issue with any other software.

So this is not something which Arch is responsible for, but if anyone
has more information about this, I would be grateful to be given it :)

I did think for a while I had setup IPv6 incorrectly, but when I see
Microsoft delivering emails solely over IPv6 (not a single use of
IPv4), I do not believe it is an issue on my end, but correct me if I
am wrong :D

The second issue I want to bring up is the issue of gmail (and also
sometimes outlook emails) spamming my emails. I have a few thoughts on
this:

- Google employs IP whitelisting, my email server is small and thus is
  suspicious, other small email servers know the going trend of "it
  being impossible to stay out of gmail spam folders", even legitimate
  emails from big companies sometimes end up in gmail spam, so for
  those who keep complaining about my emails being put into your spam,
  it is not an issue on my end, I have checked numerous times.

- DKIM signatures are broken in transit, and depending on how the spam
  filter classifies something as spam, it could  be picked up as a
  incorrect DKIM signature and thus spammed instantly, I will use David
  Rankin's email from this morning as a reference for this
  (https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/list/arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/VS3GLZ35UO4QU74GZYX3W5DXBODWE53N/)

Here are the relevant headers:

        for <arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
 Thu, 14 Sep 2023 02:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the bad formatting, and apologies to David Rankin for using
your email headers as a reference, but I assume its fine because it was
posted to a public mailing list which we can already see, its public
information, but if you do mind, I am sorry.

The bottom hop is just google hopping the email between their servers,
but once it hits lists.archlinux.org you can see that the
authentication results is that it passes both spf and dkim, also I
would like to draw attention to the fact that it was delivered to the
mailing list via IPv6, which does show that IPv6 is definitely
functioning on Arch's end.

It is then hopped to my mail server, this was the only email which I
have so far which was hopped to me via IPv6, so I was amazed when I saw
it, so it definitely seems to be a issue with Happy Eyeballs. Anyways
back to the topic, the signature then fails dkim validation (Yes I do
not currently check spf, ip address spoofing is trivial compared to
cryptographic signing and thus I was lazy and haven't yet bothered (its
been over a year since my current mail server was configured :P).

I assume that Google with their strict (and pointless) spam filter,
sees that their mail server has failed to validate dkim and spams said
email. I know I am not the only person being spammed too, I have seen
other people being informed "hey your email was spammed for me", and 9
times out of 10 its those who self host, and thus are less known.
Welcome to Googles dictatorship on email. I believe people running
rspamd picks up that further down the hop chain it was valid, and thus
takes that into account possibly, because I haven't heard people
struggling to pass rspamd filtering.

The reason for me bringing this up is getting an email every time I
post to a mailing list from 3 different people complaining how google
spammed my emails is a pain, and heres the kicker, half the time DKIM
is valid and half the time it is broken when hopping through
lists.archlinux.org, so wrap your ahead around that one!

If you are getting legitimate emails spammed, then you either need to
relax your email spam filter, or simply get used to checking your spam
often to pull legitimate emails out.

Personally I do not employ a spam filter, because just the likelihood
of a legitimate email being spammed or bounced is a bad idea in my
mind.

As people complain about my email length, I will give a TL;DR:

- Arch Linux (or GNU mailman) seems to have issues when it comes to
  picking between IPv4 and IPv6.
- DKIM signatures are randomly broken when passing through
  lists.archlinux.org
- If emails from the mailing list are being spammed, it might be wise
  to relax your spam settings, as even fully verified emails can be
  spammed from companies like google simply because their AI doesn't
  like the content of said email, or their IP whitelist doesn't include
  the sender.

Maybe I should start putting a TL;DR at the top of every email? and
then below that is the usual email with all the context and
explanation. If someone thinks this is a good idea let me know (any way
for me to annoy people less is a good thing :P)

Any advice on how to improve (or hopefully fix) the two above issues
would be highly appreciated.

Take care,
--
Polarian