Re: Haupauge TV card failed on kernel 6.5.2-arch1-1

On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:33:07 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-09-11 at 13:22 +0200, Bjoern Franke wrote:
> > > Thanks  yes it has changed so much  from the old days of early Suse
>
> Hi,
>
> assuming you didn't build RPM packages, it's still more or less the
> same, especially if you use an Arch config, so that you don't need to
> care about the configuration by yourself. I just glanced over the Wiki,
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Traditional_compilation , unless
> I'm missing it, it doesn't mention the patch command, but patch usage
> didn't change at all.
>
> Building an Arch package is described by the Arch Wiki, too. You can
> build a new package by more or less only doing copy and paste,
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Arch_build_system .
>
> The last kernel package I build was an apt package for linux 6.2.9 on
> Xubuntu. The only pitfall with 6+ kernels might be RAM. I read about RAM
> space issues even when not building in tmpfs. At least I didn't run into
> an issue with 32 GiB of RAM, when building the 6.2.9 kernel not in
> tmpfs.
>
> > You can also use "downgrade" to downgrade to the last working 6.5.x
> > kernel and put it into IgnorePkg.
>
> This is a good idea. Btw. "downgrade" is provided by the chaotic-aur
> repository,
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/unofficial_user_repositories .
>
> After installing downgrade you only need to run
>
>    sudo downgrade linux linux-docs linux-headers
>
> and select the desired packages from the lists. It seems to have a new
> interface. Providing the package lists is a little bit delayed on my
> machine now.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Hi Ralf

Thanks i may well get tempted to try rolling my own again  it was something i
used to do more than once a day at one time  time to wake the old grey cells up
 i will read up on the Wiki  .

I miss not having my tv card working

Cheers Pete