Re: Haupauge TV card failed on kernel 6.5.2-arch1-1

On Mon, 2023-09-11 at 13:22 +0200, Bjoern Franke wrote:
> > Thanks  yes it has changed so much  from the old days of early Suse

Hi,

assuming you didn't build RPM packages, it's still more or less the
same, especially if you use an Arch config, so that you don't need to
care about the configuration by yourself. I just glanced over the Wiki,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Traditional_compilation , unless
I'm missing it, it doesn't mention the patch command, but patch usage
didn't change at all.

Building an Arch package is described by the Arch Wiki, too. You can
build a new package by more or less only doing copy and paste,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Arch_build_system .

The last kernel package I build was an apt package for linux 6.2.9 on
Xubuntu. The only pitfall with 6+ kernels might be RAM. I read about RAM
space issues even when not building in tmpfs. At least I didn't run into
an issue with 32 GiB of RAM, when building the 6.2.9 kernel not in
tmpfs.

> You can also use "downgrade" to downgrade to the last working 6.5.x
> kernel and put it into IgnorePkg.

This is a good idea. Btw. "downgrade" is provided by the chaotic-aur
repository,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/unofficial_user_repositories .

After installing downgrade you only need to run

   sudo downgrade linux linux-docs linux-headers

and select the desired packages from the lists. It seems to have a new
interface. Providing the package lists is a little bit delayed on my
machine now.

Regards,
Ralf