Re: Install a package to alternative location

On 2023年08月19日 14:47, Polarian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to point out the fact top posting (or bottom posting) both
> cause major issues in most mailing lists.
>
> A lot of email clients sort emails into "threads", in which you can see all
> previous emails (provided you were subscribed to the mailing list since the
> beginning of said thread), otherwise you can always check the archives to
> see what you have missed.
>
> Keeping a "transcript" of sorts of all the emails sent in the thread
> produces huge emails, some mailing list threads span 30-50 emails, with
> varying lengths. If you top post (or bottom post) that entire chain is
> appended to the top or bottom respectively.
>
> I have seen a few arguments on previous threads where people "delete the
> thread history therefore want to be able to see all previous emails",
> however the solution to this is simple, just don't delete mailing list
> emails, they take up what? 10-20KB if they are small (or if they are sent by
> me, probably a good few hundred KB's :P).
>
> And for future reference, always check the mailing list rules, for example I
> got crucified on the OpenBSD mailing list because I sign my emails by
> default with my GPG key, OpenBSD want unsigned plain text emails, meanwhile
> the Arch Mailing Lists are open to signing, and in fact required by arch
> staff (I do not know if general responses need to be signed, or just
> applications/formal emails, maybe a TU could clarify?).
>
> TL;DR keep your emails as small and concise as possible, while also not
> being too vague that nobody is able to help you (for example reporting an
> issue and then not providing any logs or steps to reproduce said problem).
> And yes for those laughing at the fact I am the one saying this, I am aware
> I am extremely verbose, never said I was any good at this :P
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Take care,
> --
> Polarian
> GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760
> Website: https://polarian.dev
> JID/XMPP: polarian@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I can try to bottom post, it's going to take a while to adjust to it.
Even to this day I mistakenly reply to single people instead of the
whereas the key binding to reply to a mailing list is "L" on neomutt.

As for OpenBSD, I post there pretty often, and I got crucified for all
sorts of things, but signing with PGP is not one of them.
More for things like not using the default tools, having a text
signature (the one you'll see after "lain."), using GnuPG for PGP (or
any GNU tool for that matter), and other non-issues.
In fact, I always sign with PGP, no exceptions.

But overall, I really enjoy mailing lists a lot, it's like a web-based
forum, but without all the bloat, and all from an email client.
No wonder Linus Torvalds has been using this from day 1, and still does
to this day! :)

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html