Re: Plasma 6 packages / kde-unstable repo?

Hi Michael,

On Wednesday, 12 July 2023 15:43:09 CEST Michael Bromilow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My apologies if this is not the right list to ask this, but are there any
> plans to build Plasma 6 packages for kde-unstable now that it's being
> shipped in unstable KDE Neon releases and the nightly/testing repos of a
> few other distros?

I would also love to see this in the repos! But I guess we need to wait a bit
more for that. At least, until KDE releases the first beta of Plasma 6 (note
that there isn't an official schedule for Plasma 6 yet).

Plasma 6 is quite broken (or at least when I tried some weeks ago), so
probably packaging Plasma 6 as-is is not worth the extra effort. But maybe
Antonio Rojas, who maintains the KDE packages, can correct me.

And regarding when to expect the first beta, check this post [1] by Nate Graham
to get some rough dates.

> On the same topic, is the kde-unstable repo still an official repo? It's
> listed in the Wiki, still shows up as a repository on
> archlinux.org/packages, and still syncs through Pacman, but it has no
> packages (I'm not sure for how long) and I noticed that it's also missing
> from the Gitlab instance containing packages for the other repositories.

Yes, it is still an official repo. It is normally empty, and it only gets
packages whenever there is a beta of Plasma or KDE Gear. For example, I tested
Plasma 5.27 Beta using the Arch repos some months ago.

Cheers,
Iyán

[1]: https://pointieststick.com/2023/06/30/this-week-in-kde-plasma-6-development-continues/