Re: Arch Linux General Questions

Le 10/07/2023 à 13:19, Source Code a écrit :
Hello dear Arch Linux team! I would like to ask you a series of questions:
Hello!
1. Is Arch Linux completely free? If I use Arch linux, create various programs on it, do anything in general, both commercial and non-commercial, do I have to pay anyone?
Arch Linux is completely free to use. If you use Arch Linux to do anything, you won't ever have to pay anyone regarding the Arch Linux Project itself.

2. What does it mean that Arch Linux has proprietary software? Does this mean I have to pay someone something?
As stated in the Arch principles [1], Arch is a pragmatic distribution rather than an ideological one. Regarding software present in the arch repositories, it means that there are free and open source software for those who prefer it, as well as proprietary software packages for those who embrace functionality over ideology.

Using proprietary software on Arch Linux doesn't mean you have to pay anyone regarding the Arch Linux Project itself. However, note that some proprietary software can require a paid license to be used or to access certain functionalities but this has nothing to do with Arch Linux itself.

3. How do I know if I'm using a free program or a proprietary one?
Each packages available on the Arch repositories have the license(s) of the related software filled in the package information. You can see the license(s) of a particular package by searching and reviewing it via the "package search" page on archlinux.org [2]. This is also an information you can easily get by searching on the internet usually.

From there, you can determine if the package is free (as in "freedom") and open source or proprietary (which doesn't necessarily means it is not free as in "free cookies!". See previous answer).

4. Do I have to contribute to Arch Linux or is it optional?
Every contributions are highly appreciated but it never was an obligation!
However, if you ever interested in contributing, here are some useful links [3][4].

P.S. I really liked the idea of Arch Linux. So I would like to get to know her better :)
Cool! :)
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Just so you know there are also Arch IRC channels if you want to join them [5].

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Linux#Pragmatism
[2] https://archlinux.org/packages/
[3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Getting_involved
[4] https://whatcanidofor.archlinux.org/