Audio distortion after latest upgrades

I did a system upgrade a few days ago, that I had been delaying for a few weeks. Probably nearly 300 packages got upgraded, including the kernel, pipewire, etc. Since then, I keep having a recurrent problem with audio distortion, which I haven't been able to pin down a cause for.

To start out, the audio is fine, using my ear bug headphones with my laptop's audio jack. Then, after a few minutes, suddenly audio distortion kicks in. It happens when using both streaming music (audacious) as well as voice (zoom). I seem to be able to "clear it out" by temporarily turning off my current audio profile in the pavucontrol app, and then re-enabling it. But the distortion just returns again after a few minutes. I've tried different headphones, switching to laptop speakers, etc., but I still get the distortion.

I haven't been able to figure out which component or configuration setting is causing it, and haven't seen any currently open bug reports or any mentions in the Arch forums or here on the mailing list that describe anything similar. Has anyone else been experiencing anything like this and/or know what the cause or solution might be?

My laptop configuration is:
* linux 6.4.1.arch2-1
* pipewire 1:0.3.72-1 (with pipewire-alsa, pipewire-audio, and pipewire-pulse also installed)
* wireplumber 0.4.14-1
* audio hardware: "Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller Speaker + Headphones"
* selected audio profile:  "Play HiFi quality music"

Thanks,

DR