Re: Is there "depth" control for pkgctl-repo-clone like "asp export" to get only the latest commit?

On 5/20/23 17:37, Christian Heusel wrote:
'asp export' provided only the latest commit without the prior versions history, etc. Can pkgctl-repo-clone do that?
So far it cannot I think, but as the tool is still very young, its not complete in quite some areas. Feel free to open a feature request for something like a --depth option for pkgctl repo clone on the repo[1].

I'll be happy to. Yes, that would be a very useful addition. When grabbing to build locally (for whatever reason), there is no need for the entire git history, and depending on the package size it can be a huge amount of unneeded information

If you only want part of the history you can use git directly, as I very recently documented it on the wiki[2].

Great. I've got no issue using git, but was concerned that we may not have access on gitlab as there is no way for normal user accounts on the arch part. So long as it's a normal read-only clone, that works as a work-around while pkgctl-repo-clone matures.

It seems if you combine the commands from the article with the --depth 1 option from git[3] it should only fetch the latest revision.

That's exactly what is wanted. Simply taking `--depth X` from the command line for pkgctl-repo-clone and passing that as part of the git command for the underlying package seems like a great approach.

Thanks for the reply.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.