Re: What can be done to prevent messages from cluttering up log files?

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 15:09:37 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-04-23 at 12:44 +0200, Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 at 07:53, Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > assuming you can't get rid of the cause of messages flooding the log
> > > file, could you prevent writing with a filter? After all, only filtering
> > > when reading would not prevent the unnecessary growth of log files.
> >
> > you didn't say which messages
>
> Hi,
>
> thank you. There are actually no messages that spam my journal. I just
> want to know just in case.

As with most (all?) solutions looking for a problem, this, too, is quite
disconnected from reality. It is much better to address the underlying
problem rather than ignoring it. If you encounter a situation where you
have something flooding your logs, there's an actual problem with your
system, and generally something quite serious. Sure, there are
occasional bugs where something logs too frequently, but more serious
problems are more common.

I would suggest focusing on these real issues instead of manufacturing
hypotheticals.

--
Cheers,
Luna Celeste