Re: System is randomly freezing, would like troubleshooting help

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:02:46 +0200, Shawn Michaels wrote:

> >> Also, things that may help you track this down:
> >> - monitor /proc/interrupts when it freezes
> >
> >This is a 16 core processor and there's too much output on my 27"
> >display to view it all at once; suggestions?
>
> I would try to run something like this in the background:
> watch -n 1 "cat /proc/interrupts >> ~/watch.log && sync"
>
> (I did not check that the command works as expected but you get the
> intention).
>
> Once a crash is caught, analyze the produced logs. Perhaps you can
> monitor other files from sysfs/debugfs as well.

This is a good strategy, thank you! I'm a little worried about disk
wear, though, but maybe that's just human bias?

> Another thing that comes to mind: perhaps your system is still
> running, albeit very slow. I see that you're running libvirt. I've had
> a problem like this on my host: for more than a year, it would
> randomly and seldomly "freeze" (become astonishingly slow) when
> starting a VM (Windows guest with multiple passthroughs). I tried to
> debug this by increasing journald/kernel log levels but the issue
> appears to have vanished lately. I just assumed that it was fixed
> upstream, but perhaps it's still there.

Most of the time the VMs aren't actually running when the machine
freezes / hangs; also, the last time it froze, the display was still
active, and the clock hadn't advanced for something like 6-10 hours,
matching the time when the mosh session lost its connection. So I don't
think this is the cause.

Unrelated, would you please check your mail client? When you reply, I
get a copy in my main inbox and in the folder for the mailing list,
despite setting both Mail-Followup-To and Reply-To headers. Something
seems to be acting strangely. Regardless, thank you for all the advice
you've provided!

--
Cheers,
Luna Celeste