Re: System is randomly freezing, would like troubleshooting help

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 21:59:24 +0200, Shawn Michaels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9 April 2023 01:55:34 CEST, Luna Celeste <luna@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >it's been randomly hanging.
>
> Long shot, but I had random freezes on a machine years ago and it
> turned out that I forgot to install the intel-ucode package [1]. EDIT:
> I realize now that you're running an AMD cpu.
>
> Also, things that may help you track this down:
> - monitor /proc/interrupts when it freezes

This is a 16 core processor and there's too much output on my 27"
display to view it all at once; suggestions?

> - remove some hardware, see if crashes disappear, add back progressively

I tried that a few months ago; as I said in an earlier message, since I
don't know what's causing the issue, and since right now it's not
predictable, I don't have a timeframe on how much testing is "enough".

> - increase kernel verbosity (I forgot how I did this, maybe [2] will help?)

Will look into this once the memtest86+ is finished; see below.

> - when and how exactly did it start?

At least a few months ago; I'm not sure of the specifics, but I don't
think it was after adding any particular bit of hardware. Of course,
that doesn't rule out driver bugs.

> > Definitely worth checking memtest86+
>
> Keep in mind that it may take days of stress testing memory before
> catching an error. I caught a faulty RAM slot on a MB once after 3
> days of running memtest. I suggest running for an entire week.

I'm currently doing this as it's an easy troubleshooting step. So far
I'm at pass 5 and have run for 13.5h with no errors. I'll keep folks
updated after the full week has passed.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 09:52:14 +0200, ihad wrote:

> An AMD CPU that hangs when it's mostly idle rings a bell:
> Try disabling c6 and see if the problem goes away. Some older AMD CPUs had
> problems waking up from deep sleep. The script [1] can do it for you:

This is a 16 core AMD Ryzen 9 3950X; does that count as older? The
machine is only a few years old. I understand that's quite a while in
tech, but I want to be sure.

--
Cheers,
Luna Celeste