Re: moving /boot

Fons Adriaensen <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I second the suggestion for backup.
Also, before doing anything, have a rescue CD, or equivalent. And verify
you are able to boot with it, and access the data.

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a problem with updating a laptop: the /boot partition
> is too small for the new ramfs images.
>
> The system uses GPT partioning and BIOS boot using syslinux.
>
> /dev/sda1          1M  Type = BIOS Boot

Looks to me as non UEFI system. I point that out just to verify that.

> /dev/sda2  /boot  95M  Attributes: LegacyBIOSBootable
> /dev/sda3  /      93G
> (others for /home, /data and SWAP)
>

> One solution would be to move the /boot directory to / instead
> of giving it its own partition.
>
> The syslinux wiki page tells me that the absolute sector address
> of /boot/syslinux/ldlinux.sys plays a role in the boot sequence,
> so I suspect that just moving the boot directory and removing
> /dev/sda2 from /etc/fstab won't be enough. Would re-installing
> syslinux after that do the trick (and also take care of the
> LegacyBIOSBootable attribute) ?

As far as I remember, what you wrote, including reinstalling syslinux, does
the trick. In any case, with the backup and rescue means, just experimenting
with it looks to me rather safe. And while I mention experimenting, it worth
finding out in advance about syslinux installtion with a rescue/installation
media.
Aren't there wiki articles about these subjects?

Also, doesn't it worth temporarily taking some data out /boot, in order
to have room for the large ramfs image?

--
u34