Re: Dual Root setup

On 3/4/23 18:08, Łukasz Michalski wrote:

I have this setup on all servers that do not have battery backed HW raid cards and use mdadm there. I use systemd-boot as bootloader. Works well and can be done on existing system with just a single reboot. It is not easy - you have to create degraded raid1 on new drive, rsync all data, boot from usb, rsync changes that were made during initial resync, boot from degraded raid and convert original drive to second raid1 member. You have to use efibootmgr to manually setup both boot entries, "bootctl update" will not work.

Thanks for sharing - indeed it does sound scary and brittle!!

Thank you also for reminder on rsync - will update the notes.

Agree very much with you on dynamic data (mail, databases, etc) and on my systems all such data is on RAID-6 separate from the root disk itself which is only used for booting. Those are bind mounted as needed, and ignored by the sync script - so shouldn't be a problem.

But your cautionary comment is definitely something to keep an eye on.

best,

gene