Re: Dual Root setup

On 3/4/23 13:21, Uwe Sauter wrote:

The usual Linux MD-RAID can have its metadata placed on different positions in the partition (see man (8) mdadm, option "-e, --metadata").

Knowing this it is no problem to create a partition on each disk of type EF00, create a RAID1 with metadata version 1.0 (at end of partition) using those partitions and format that MD device with VFAT. Mountpoint should be /boot/efi.

Thus EFI will see two VFAT partitions with the correct type but Linux will keep the content synchronized.

There is at least one more thing to configure: /etc/mdadm.conf should include a line for this MD device. Best would be to reference the MD device by UUID.

It might be required to also configure the kernel cmdline to include options to assemble the device. But I might confuse this with RHEL (Dracut) based distributions. I think Arch's mkinitrd will use /etc/mdadm.conf when properly configured…

This could be nicer way to go on new installs but might be a bit tedious to do on existing systems though.

dual root is at least simple to add to any existing machine just by adding a little space.

I just added a small 500 GB M.2 nvme drive to one server as its alternate root - was painless and simple. And system remained up aside from the few minutes to install the ssd :)

gene