Re: [arch-announce] Switch to the base-devel meta package requires manual intervention

Am Mi, 15. Feb 2023 um 09:53:21 +01:00:00 schrieb Óscar García Amor <ogarcia@xxxxxxxxx>:
El mié, 15-02-2023 a las 01:59 +0000, Polarian escribió:
 I do not want sudo on my system

This is an issue that I have thought about a lot because I see that
there are many people (including me) who prefer to have a simple
executable (doas) to become root instead of a whole system that could
send another man (or woman) to the moon and the truth is that there is
no simple solution as the Arch Linux package system is set up.

If our system had something like Debian (I'm not saying I like it, but
it's a solution) with `update-alternatives`, you could choose `doas` as an alternative and uninstall `sudo`. Unfortunately, since we don't have
it, there is no easy solution.

A possible alternative would be to use `provides` in the packages, so
that `doas` would provide `sudo` and then the user could choose what he
wants. But this would cause `doas` and `sudo` to conflict with each
other, since it would be necessary for `doas` to create a
`/usr/bin/sudo -> doas` symbolic link so as not to break the
compatibility of packages that require `sudo`.

This wouldn't work. doas is not a drop-in replacement for sudo. This link would also break lots of scrips and tools. The same goes for pkexec.

As I said, there is no simple solution.

Greetings.
--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me