Re: [Diagnosed, Not Solved]Re: System Update Today Broke Lightdm - Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.??

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 12:52:47 -0600
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Things look very grim for the 110 Nvidia cards that use the
> nvidia-390xx driver. Seems the binary pieces built and supplied by
> nvidia and those that you build must be built using the same glibc.
> The last update by Nvidia for the 390xx driver was at the end of
> 2022. glibc 2.37 puts Arch ahead of the glibc used with the last
> 390xx driver. So unless this is a regression in glibc or Nvidia
> provides a "Goodness of it's Heart" update, those cards are dead on
> Arch and most revert to the nouveau driver. (I'm not holding my
> breath on either...)
>
> See: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283327
>
> This is all GTX 580 and below, Quadro 6000(and M) and below and
> mobile GPUs from the GT 820M down. There are two good card references
> for looking up affected cards listed in the wiki
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA
>
> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/
>
> https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html
>
> Frustrating when perfectly good hardware can no longer be used as
> intended due to a trivial glibc change. The double-edged sword of a
> rolling-release coupled with corporate greed to drive new hardware
> sales. Not much of an issue when top video cards cost $200, but in
> today's world with prices close to 8X that -- it's a much bigger
> issue.
>
> Nouveau is fine, but frame-rates pale in comparison to the nvidia
> driver. We will see where this goes...

Can't you just install the required version of glibc [1] to build the
drivers, or does that lead to other incompatibilities

[1] As discussed e.g at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/847179/multiple-glibc-libraries-on-a-single-host