[Diagnosed, Not Solved]Re: System Update Today Broke Lightdm - Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.??

On 2/7/23 21:55, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

On 2/7/23 10:26 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
   It appears I'm not the only one. Soon after posting to the AUR project for the nvidia-390xx drivers, another confirmed x broke for him as well. See latest comments at:

https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/nvidia-390xx-utils

   So it has to be some change that the nvidia-390xx driver isn't playing nice with. Like I said earlier, my Intel graphic box is happy as a clam.

Looks like another recent comment seems to indicate that it's a glibc update issue.

DR

Things look very grim for the 110 Nvidia cards that use the nvidia-390xx driver. Seems the binary pieces built and supplied by nvidia and those that you build must be built using the same glibc. The last update by Nvidia for the 390xx driver was at the end of 2022. glibc 2.37 puts Arch ahead of the glibc used with the last 390xx driver. So unless this is a regression in glibc or Nvidia provides a "Goodness of it's Heart" update, those cards are dead on Arch and most revert to the nouveau driver. (I'm not holding my breath on either...)

See: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283327

This is all GTX 580 and below, Quadro 6000(and M) and below and mobile GPUs from the GT 820M down. There are two good card references for looking up affected cards listed in the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html

Frustrating when perfectly good hardware can no longer be used as intended due to a trivial glibc change. The double-edged sword of a rolling-release coupled with corporate greed to drive new hardware sales. Not much of an issue when top video cards cost $200, but in today's world with prices close to 8X that -- it's a much bigger issue.

Nouveau is fine, but frame-rates pale in comparison to the nvidia driver. We will see where this goes...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.