Re: Split apache package

Hello,

There's no issue having two (or more) webservers installed at once, and no issues having two (or more) of them running at the same time either, as long as they don't run on the same port. While, apache and nginx will indeed both use the 80 or 443 port by default, this is something you can change in the configuration file.

Ok I guess this is my bad for poorly explaining this, what my point was is that you wouldn't really run apache and nginx together, when you would pick one or the other as a reverse proxy for all your other applications (if you are limited to one IP address and want all your pages accessable on port 443/80 then it is one or the other), that is the point I was trying to make, you would typically pick one and not the other.

So for people that face the situation described in this mail: You can install the apache package alongside nginx (in order to use `htpasswd`) without issue. If you decide to have them both running at the same time, just make sure to bind the `listen` parameter in the default apache and nginx configurations files to a different port for each of them.

I know you can, I have wrote a guide doing exactly this, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Maven#Using_nginx

Its simple for them to coincide, you don't Start/enable apache and you can still use the utils with nginx, but the issue is, you don't want to have something installed you will never use!

As far as I know, not splitting package too much is actually a choice. Indeed, Arch purposely avoid having too many split packages (hence the lack of `lib` or `utils` packages in Arch compare to Debian for instance) to keep things as simple as possible, according to the Arch philosophy.

The issue with not splitting things up is that people have redundant binaries installed, which they are never going to use, the one of Arch's other philosophies is that the user is fully in control and can design their system how they like, this breaks that because they are forced to install stuff they will never want to use, just because a small section of the package contains a binary they needed for use with nginx.

I mean, sure the latter only provides utilities and not the web-server itself while the first one provides both, but nothing obligates you to actually start and use the web-server, so I don't see why installing the `apache` package on Arch would be more conflicting regarding nginx than installing the `apache2-utils` package on Debian for people that wants to use `htpasswd`.

Again, its not about them conflicting, its about that most people will not use the apache web server with nginx, and thus they only want to use the binaries which the nginx guides use (htpasswd), instead of installing a whole another web server, just to get nginx working?

I hope you see the point I am trying to make,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760