Re: Arch / Manjaro friendly wifi dongle

On 1/27/23 18:02, mick howe wrote:
I have just moved to a house where I can't get an Ethernet connection
to the broadband 'modem' so I need to finally adopt a wifi setup to
listed as might work. I tried to build it on the laptop with aur but

1. a way to build the driver for the Archer T3U
and/or

3. other options?
I have tried Ether of Power setup but the basement my daughter has

(i) I gather from above that the in kernel rtl88 driver doesn't work for usb. My loose recollection is that there is some support for in-kernel modules for some mediatek dongles - details need to be checked.

This may be helpful:

https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/USB_WiFi_Adapters_that_are_supported_with_Linux_in-kernel_drivers.md

(2) to build kernel modules you need to install the kernel headers package for whatever kernel you want to build against - e.g.
  pacman -Syu linux-headers

(3) Since ether over power didnt work would it work to add a second access point closer even if not all the way?

3.1) best option would be wired - if you can run it far enough to give you signal where you need it.

I'm sure you know but adding for completeness - Its super straightforward to do that - just get any wifi router and connect LAN ports - turn of dhcp to avoid problems - give it static ip - and same SSID(s) as primary.

3.2) Alternatively, a wireless extender instead of wired (or add 2 or more mesh if you want to keep pushing extenders). Will cut your bandwidth in half unfortunately but may help.

regards,

gene