Re: About the wiki's CAPTCHA system

Hello,

Please do not promote proprietary captchas, The command used for verification is far from perfect but it is better than nothing.

and I had some issues with this that I'd like to share, while I get
the reasons this captcha system was put in place (to prevent spam & to
ensure the user is currently using an Arch system), however I don't
believe the current captcha is a good solution.

It is not to ensure a user is on an Arch Based system, it it uses the pacman version and converts it to base32, you can do this on any system (Linux based ofc), and why would you sign up for arch linux if you were not using the distribution, seems counter productive in my eyes.

First of all, my problem is with the requirement to verify the user is
currently using Arch, as the Arch Wiki is a very popular resource in
the greater Linux community as a lot of resources apply to software
that is commonly seen on other distributions, for example, I wanted to
make a change (which I encountered configuring an Arch system) that
was useful to everyone who used systemd, anyone, be it an Ubuntu,
Debian, Fedora, etc user may have found on the Arch wiki. While I
think (I'm not sure, anyone is welcome to prove me wrong), the little
number of users trying to post good faith, however, off topic,
non-Arch related content, should be stopped by having their changes
undone, and people who are Arch Linux users may still fail the
challenge (i.e. using a non-arch system at the time, using an Arch
system with an different version of Pacman.)

Again you do not need to use Arch Linux to run that command, the pacman package manager is shipped to other distributions. You do not need an account in order to read the ArchWiki, but they are specifically designed for the Arch Community, thus this is not a problem.

However, my second larger problem is that it doesn't seem that it'd be
a very good spam prevention mechanism. The CAPTCHA seems to be the
same for all users, and changes very infrequently. (pacman version
6.0.1 (according to https://archlinux.org/pacman/#_releases, released
in September 2021) and 6.0.2 (according to
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/pacman/, released in
November 2022) were released over a year apart, so any spammer could
define the captcha challenge for the Arch Wiki and post spam for many
months.

No capcha is perfect, recapchas can be broken by a bot within 2-3 seconds, and this has been the case for a while. The AUR has been hit multiple times by bots, and the TUs are very good at sorting this out, so you don't need to worry!

Determined spammers could even write a system to run the command
inside a Arch Linux container and cache it until the challenge does
not work.

This is a lot of work, the idea is that it is harder for a user to be able to use a bot to hit the ArchWiki. bare in mind the ArchWiki supports rollbacks, so any pages which are modified or damage can be rolled back immediately and the account can be suspended.

Ideally, CAPTCHA systems should be
 - hard for computers
 - easy for humans
 - accessible
 - unique for every request.

No captcha does this currently, I always fail captchas because of Human error or because of stupid things, its hard to map what a computer does unlike a human, the best way is to track the cursor movements as this is very random when it comes to Human beings, but the issue is this is privacy invasive.

Arch Linux has tried to put basic protection against bots without breaking your privacy, please do not complain about this because I and many other people here value their privacy a lot and the last thing we want is an integration into a proprietary data hogging captcha company to be implemented into the ArchWiki.

The current CAPTCHA system fails every one of those requirements, I'd
suggest either using a more common captcha type (such as Google
reCAPTCHA, hCaptcha or a generic maths challenge), switching to more
human friendly, easily Googleable, but still domain specific questions
(i.e. "in which year was the Arch Linux project founded"), less ideal,
but you could use commands that always produce the same output (i.e.
"uname | base64" should always produce "TGludXgK" on Linux)

As I said above, this is privacy invasive, and if this ever happened to the ArchWiki, I would lose all support for Arch Linux and jump distribution, and I know a lot of others which would too. your suggestion will divide and destroy the community, I understand you are concerned about the security against bots, but privacy comes first, and this is not the solution!

Thanks,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760