Re: Obfuscation of emails

Hello,

On 15/01/2023 09:16, Óscar García Amor wrote:
There are some, but the truth is that they are in the minority.

Wow I do not know what AUR packages you look at, but all the AUR packages I have contributed to have had obfuscated email addresses, mainly by smaller AUR packagers, BECAUSE THE GUIDE SPECIFICALLY TELLS YOU THAT OBFUSCATION OF EMAILS IS A REQUIREMENT!!!

As I said in my previous post, if you really have difficulties deobfuscating the email address, the best thing to do is to use the snippet that I propose. You put it as it is in your .bashrc or in your .zshrc and it works perfectly.

Surely the fact that you can write a script to convert the obfuscated email to the de-obfuscated email address surely means a bot could do it too, thus making it futile at preventing spam!

Anyway what I would recommend to all the people who don't feel comfortable writing their email address without obfuscation is that instead of using the obfuscated address they should put a URL where they can be contacted. That is, instead of this:
Maintainer: Oscar Garcia Amor <ogarcia at moire dot org>
or
Maintainer: Oscar Garcia Amor <ogarcia (at) moire (dot) org>
Put this:
Maintainer: Oscar Garcia Amor (https://github.com/ogarcia/pkgbuilds/issues)

This will get your package removed, as it violates the AUR packaging guidelines, it specifically states it must be an email address, however I do not see why it could not be any other source of contact, would be cool if we could use different brackets for different forms of communication like:

<> - email
[] - IRC
() - XMPP
{} - Matrix

Would be really cool to be able to specify different ways of communication, although as for the IRC option, AUR profiles already allow you to display your IRC nick, so that might be redundant, but it is only a suggestion.

Unless the guidelines are updated, and the administrators agree, this conversation is a waste of time. Arch Linux is a community and thus if there are people who do not agree with updating the guidelines to make it more neurodivergent-friendly (personally autism doesn't make it any harder, so I am fine there, but seriously, it must be painful for dyslexics or other disabilities).

I thought Arch Linux was meant to be inclusive for all, if so... surely this should be changed to help the community.

As what Oscar recommended, it might be a good idea to allow people to put a URL to a git repository (as most PKGBUILD developers commit not only to the AUR but github/gitlab or another hosted instance) which means that they do not need to be contacted over email, and any issues with that specific package could be changed.

Also there are services out their guys which provide randomly generated emails which bounce the emails you get into your actual email address, if you get spammed you simply disable the randomly generated email address and all emails will be bounced from that specific source. Although these companies are proprietary, and have privacy concerns, this is also an option.

Thanks,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760