Re: **** [SUSPECTED SPAM] ****Setting up new computer to be identical to old one

* Spencer Collyer <spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [10/30 11:42]
> I am looking to replace my current desktop PC, which is getting on for
> 8 years old now, with a more up-to-date one. Ideally I want the new one
> to be set up the same as my current one, which has been running on Arch
> since I first got it. I keep my Arch up-to-date by running a full
> update roughly every four weeks.
>
> What is the best way to set up the new one to mirror the existing one?
> I'd like to have all the same packages installed, with basically the
> same setup, except for obvious points like the new PC having a
> different IP address and name on my network.
>
> My initial idea was something like the following:
>
> 1) Install a basic Arch system on the new computer
> 2) Get the list of installed packages from the old computer (I think
> there is a way to do this using Pacman?) 3) Somehow get Pacman to
> install the same list of packages on the new computer. 4) Tidy up any
> config files that need changing - e.g. for the aforementioned IP
> address / computer name stuff. 5) Copy over my /home directory 6) Copy
> over various data directories/partitions I have -e.g. I have a whole
> bunch of images stored in a separate partition that I'll want to copy
> over. The stuff in here is all self-contained so should be easy enough
> to copy over.
>
> I found thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=171726 which
> had some ideas as well - the above is sort-of based on stuff I found on
> there along with my own thoughts.
>
> Does that look like a reasonable plan? Anything I might be missing?
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Regards,
>
> Spencer
I always forget to reply to the list, sorry!

A new PC/Laptop would likely use uefi and
it takes maybe 10 minutes to install a minimal profile arch, so save your files, and your
config
folder, and
do a new install. Did it yesterday....15 minutes and i3-wm was up and running.

OS: Arch Linux x86_64
Host: X570 AORUS ELITE -CF
Kernel: 6.0.6-arch1-1
Uptime: 15 hours, 19 mins
Packages: 695 (pacman)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Resolution: 3840x2160, 2160x3840, 2160x3840
WM: i3
Theme: gruvbox-dark-gtk [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2], ArchCursorComplete [GTK3]
Terminal: st
Terminal Font: UbuntuMono
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (32) @ 3.400GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT
Memory: 4682MiB / 64228MiB

--

Regards,