Re: Mailing list quirks

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:21:05AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Dear mailing list admin,
> Please add " " to the subject.

Please don't. Removing that and keeping the dkim signature intact is
a good thing.

The goal should be that we can reject any dkim failing messages and the
only thing that stands in the way there are maling lists which are still
misconfigured.

> Some mailing lists don't use such an identifier in the subject, but a
> lot of mailing lists for good reasons do. It's apparently possible to
> prepend the list name and to keep the DKIM signature intact

It is not. Assuming the dkim signature covers the subject, which is
always the case for any reasonable setup, it being a somewhat sensitive
header.

> For example, if you have got a virtual search folder with a filter, that
> searches the email bodies for "x11" in folders for different mailing
> lists, it can be very helpful, if the subject lines mention "[arch-
> general] ", "[Alsa-user] ", "[Evolution] ", "[lubuntu-users] " etc. to
> get a first overview.

Filter on the List-Id: header, that's what it is meant for.
Any email that arrives in your inbox from the list, also has the list
address on its recipient list, so it's easy enough to filter based on
that as well if you don't have a MUA that can read headers.