Re: Why irrelevant updates?

Hi,

pacman will request to update all installed packages. If you think you don't need a certain package, -Rscn it. Not upgrading a package that you nevertheless keep installed is probably a Bad Idea (as you realize).

That being said, there's no major disadvantage (disk space issues notwithstanding) to having packages installed that you never use. If those programs aren't ever run, then they won't slow anything down.