Re: Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

On 05/03/2014 07:56 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
This is an interesting suggestion:

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Delcypher <delcypher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

dy installed Ubuntu successfully you probably
have a working boot manager from that install. So why not just use
that to boot into Arch Linux? I think Ubuntu uses GRUB2 so you can
have Ubuntu regenerate the menu entries and hopefully it would detect
Arch Linux on its own. If not you'll have to look up how to add the
menu entries manually.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so forgive me if I've misunderstood the question.

I have a somewhat similar setup except that I have an older, non-UEFI machine.

I recently created an Arch installation but I also have three Xubuntu installations. The GRUB 2 installation belongs to one of the Xubuntu installs. The way I add the Arch installation from Xubuntu is:

* I mount the Arch partition in Xubuntu using the file manager. It gets mounted under /media/.

* From a terminal ($ prompt), I enter:

    sudo update-grub

When I reboot, the Arch installation is now visible in GRUB.

Note that this procedure has to be repeated when Xubuntu software updates bring in a new kernel, etc., as that runs "update-grub" behind the scenes.

I hope that helps.