Re: (no subject)

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:58:01 -0500
From: Juan Diego Tasc?n<juantascon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: General Discusson about Arch Linux<arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [arch-general] ssd

Good day,

I just got a new laptop with a 25Gb ssd and I was wondering which would be
best if putting my home directory (minus music and videos) there or and
arch install (minus pacman pkg cache). I read the ssd related article in
the wiki and even though it mentions some optimizations and considerations
it doesn't mention anything regarding this issue.

Thanks

Hi,

IMO you should put the arch install there.
Because of the limited amount of writes a cell can handle, you typically want the data on your SSD not to change very much over time. Since its greater reading speed can improve on the starting time of larger applications, it is (in my understanding) recommended for an SSD to contain mostly applications and/or system files. This should also make your computer boot faster.

Good luck on choosing and setting up your system,
Gijs