Re: / mounted ro after update

On 09/18/2012 03:53 AM, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 03:47:26 -0400 (EDT)
Jude DaShiell<jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>Whenever does an install of archlinux, they also do a big update so
>it's safe to say I got nailed by this problem too.  I'm not going to
>dismiss out of hand the probability that util-linux is at fault, but
>when I tried the installs this past weekend I suspected mkinitcpio or
>perhaps syslinux-install_update might be at fault.  However if in
>this update process neither of those utilities were used, then both
>of them are cleared.  It seems when util-linux finishes running after
>install or update it fails to set the sticky bits on partitions and
>lesser components in the linux file system at least in ext4 which is
>what I used to try the installs this past weekend in line with the
>installation guide on the archlinux wiki.
HUmmmm you got me wondering now that could well be  both partitions
that have the problem are ext4  why i did not change them to my more
normal XFS i dont know ..

I may have to back a lot up and rebuild but this time i will let my
normal hate of the entire EXT file system rule and go XFS never been
let down there ..

Pete .

Pete,

I have run Arch on several filesystems and I've been lucky I guess. Currently on this box, I have ext3, ext4 and reiser (old SuSE 10.0 partition). This box has been running since mid-2009 and updates are usually weekly (sometimes I go a couple of weeks if I can't risk a break due to workload) I have not had any of the mount ro weirdness even after several multi-gigabyte updates. The current partitions I have are:

/dev/sdc5 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sdc7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/pv type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /mnt/win type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I don't know what is doing it in your case, but it seems like we should be able to figure out where mount ro/rw logic for the resides (I picture something like the following buried somewhere):

  if [conditional]; then
    mount -o rw [whatever]
  else
    mount -o ro [whatever]
  fi

I suspect this may be complicated by the fact that mounting (or remounting) takes place in several different places/processes during the boot. Anybody familiar with this off-hand or any idea where Pete might look to rule-in or rule-out the different parts of boot that could effect this? Sorry I don't have more, I just haven't had the need to dissect the boot mount process to that level before...

  I guess you are just lucky :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.