Re: Another Major glitch now

On 01/28/2012 10:35 AM, P NIKOLIC wrote:
Well it seems no help then     it seems parts are working parts are not  so how do i set about  uninstalling KDE 4.8 and reverting to the previous working version  or is 4.8 the new viersion now if so it has problems

Pete .

--- On Sat, 28/1/12, P NIKOLIC<p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

From: P NIKOLIC<p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [arch-general] Another Major glitch now
To: arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, 28 January, 2012, 15:43

I have just updated the system  now on kde4.8 but all i get is kmix and a white screen noting else works at all  even that took 12 mins to  come up
    (ps the update was a normal pacman -Suy )

Pete   (sent from webamil on the lappy cus main machine is futzed )

Pete,

Also, your package cache is in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. Unless you have done something to remove them, then all your 4.7.4 packages are still there. You can simply do an 'ls -al /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*4.7.4*' to confirm. You can downgrade using 'pacman -U' <file list of 4.7.4 packages>

I wrote a couple of scripts to handle cleaning /var/cache/pacman/pkg and moving old versions off the / partition to the /home partition to keep the space on / free and to keep exact copies of my prior working packages. Currently the previous versions of packages are moved to /home/backup/pkg-1 (then pkg-2 and finally pkg-del)

  Grab the scripts at:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/arch/scripts/fduparch.sh
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/arch/scripts/fduppkg

Just put both in /usr/local/bin and call fduparch.sh as root. The scripts are reasonably commented. fduparch.sh is the wrapper script that just calls fduppkg successively to move old versions of packages to the directories specified in the array 'DIRLIST'.

After each 'pacman -Syu', I just call 'fduparch.sh'. Just run 'fduparch.sh -h' to get a better description. HTH.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.