Re: base stuff

On Friday, April 08, 2011 05:43:51 Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Jelle van der Waa <jelle@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > And on a side note, I don't like archlinux forcing users to use SELinux
> > because users should have a choice to use any MAC software they want.
> > That's why AppArmor /Tomoyo are nicer solutions cause they don't require
> > recompiling of packages -> increasing bugs/problems.
>
> If we compile our packages with SELinux support, does that force users to
> use SELinux? I was under the impression that these changes would be
> completely benign on non-SELinux enabled systems. --Kaiting.

No, SELinux-patched tools do not force one to use SELinux. But they can
potentially have plenty of bugs introduced by the patches. And there's the
fact that SELinux is not necessary and there's not point in putting it in the
default Arch install just for the minority who'll actually use it. At most, it
should be in [core]. At the very least, [community]. I definitely see no good
reason to make it part of the base install, though.