Re: "community/jre" and "community/jdk" packages are out of date - PKGBUILD proposal

On 07/29/2010 12:34 AM, Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
On 25 July 2010 19:02, Guillaume ALAUX<guillaume@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 25 July 2010 18:45, Ionuț Bîru<ibiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 07/25/2010 07:37 PM, Guillaume ALAUX wrote:

On 25 July 2010 18:17, Ionuț Bîru<ibiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

  On 07/25/2010 07:14 PM, Peter Lewis wrote:

  Hi,

On Sunday 25 Jul 2010 at 16:50 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:

  I also have some suggestions for these packages:
- rename them from {jre,jdk} to {java6-sun-jre,java6-sun-jdk} or so
would
enable us to use different versions of SUN's JVM (Java5, 6 and 7)

Well the open jdk package is called "openjdk6". It would be nice if all
the
similar packages had similar names, to make it obvious that they were
alternatives.

So if you want to rename them, how about either calling them sunjdk6
and
sunjre6 or else renaming the open ones too to fit into the same scheme,
e.g.
java6-open-jdk? Although this has the down side that it no longer
contains
the
phrase "openjdk" which is probably what some/most people search for.

Just a thought.

Pete.

i always hatted the debian naming scheme for java so -1 from me. but i'm
not against to use upstream name.

--
Ionuț

Well there are several reasons in this renaming proposal :

1) to add some more info about the package
2) to make the difference between versions of Java. ie if we include the
"6"
in names we could have (in a shorter scheme) jdk6 and jre6, jdk5 and
jre5,
jdk7 and jre7. Because nowadays, upgrading jre from 6 to 7 would
un-install
jre v6. As you all know these different versions of JVM (5 and 6 and
tomorrow 7) are both used a lot !

well, when this happens be sure that we will do that. add a new jre6 and
jdk package when version 7 is released

  i always hatted the debian naming scheme for java so -1 from me. but i'm

not against to use upstream name
What about splitting the PKGBUILD?

+1

  So if you want to rename them, how about either calling them sunjdk6 and

sunjre6 or else renaming the open ones too to fit into the same scheme,
e.g.
java6-open-jdk
I do agree.

the description of jre/jdk are pretty damn straight an if you really
search for java sun it would find jre/jdk

pacman -Ss java sun

--
Ionuț

well, when this happens be sure that we will do that. add a new jre6 and
jdk package when version 7 is released
I see your point: jdk beeing the "current" version and jdk5 or jdk7
alternatives like Peter said.

What about paths? Today jdk/jre install in /opt/java, openjdk6 installs
in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk. Wouldn't it be cleaner if we installed
jdk/jre files in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-{jdk,jre} or something?

OK tested !

So! Basically, I made 2 versions of the package:

1) this one<http://github.com/downloads/galaux/abs/java-sun-6u21-1.src.tar.gz_current>
is
made of the PKGBUILDs of JRE and JDK from community merged and updated
2) this one<http://github.com/downloads/galaux/abs/java-sun-6u21-1.src.tar.gz_custom>
is
the same as 1) but I removed the construct.sh script and directly included
it into the PKGBUILD so that we don't have to get through a lot of
unnecessary lines of script for building. This doesn't bring a lot but looks
cleaner to me so... may not be that relevant !

Names are unchanged, ie jdk and jre.  Paths are unchanged ie
/opt/java/{,jre}

Both have been tested for 32 and 64 arch and compile with openjdk6 and
jre/jdk.  If a dev wants to use/test for official use in Arch repo

Guillaume

thanks for this. i'll add it later today as Dan is kinda inactive

--
Ionuț