Re: svn packaging, abs => git ?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Allan McRae <allan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only way for this to actually happen would be for someone to set up a
> git repo with a handful of packages and demonstrate that it works better
> with the usual packaging workflow.  That is what was done with SVN and why
> it was chosen when we switched from CVS.

By the way, I am not sure anyone mentioned that there were actually
two proposals for getting rid of cvs : git vs svn
And svn won.

>From http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-December/003330.html
* Getting rid of CVS

Last status report, I pointed this guy out. Roman responded with a vote for
Jason's SVN proposal.

In summary:

   * Jason has provided us with an svn solution, where sub-directories control
     the location of the package (i.e. package-name/repos/extra/PKGBUILD will
     place the package into extra)
   * Dan has provided us with a git solution that uses named branches to control
     the location (i.e. a branch named "testing" has changes to PKGBUILDs
     present only in the testing repo)

I'm going to put my weight behind Jason's SVN proposal too, for the following
reasons:

   * There is no reason to manage our packages in a distributed manner
   * SVN will be an easier transition for some users and developers unfamiliar
     with the esoteric commands of git.
   * It has a real implementation
   * One can use the git-svn porcelain on top of this, to still get the full
     power if git if they so wish.

So, the next steps: Jason, can you provide us with some more details on your
implementation, or perhaps something on gerolde as a preliminary system? I'd
like to setup something side-by-side for people to use and to play with a bit.
This way we can easily flesh out the hairier details.

Paul, you did some similar work with repoman, yes? Do you have anything to add
to this topic?