Re: An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit - tone it down

On 01-02-2010 06:17, Joerg Schilling wrote:
"Armando M. Baratti"<ambaratti.listas@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Strange, I have had the opposite experience.
Trying to burn some CDs with cdrkit (on CentOS) give some problem with
not being able to generate Joliet system and I have had trouble with
utf-8 too.

First I thought I was making some stupid mistake, but changing to
cdrtools (from sourceforge repository) fixed that.

Well, it was in another distro, but by what I've read in this thread it
seems to make sense now.

There is nothing strange and this does not depend on the distro you are using.

The fork does not handle UTF-8 correctly.

BTW: the whole dispute with Debian started with an attempt from a Debian
paketizer to make me integrate a non-working UTF-8 patch into mkisofs in May
2004. This patch was full of bugs and even if it did have no bugs, it would
only handle 50% of the cases that need support for UTF-8.

This broken patch is still in the fork, but in Summer 2006 I did implement
working and complete UTF-8 support for mkisofs.

There is however no cdrtools at Sourceforge, cdrtools is at Berlios ;-)

Jörg

Excuse me I meant rpmforge repository.

Armando