Re: [arch-dev-public] [announcement] qemu/qemu-kvm announcement draft

On 01/10/2010 09:48 AM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
Am Samstag 09 Januar 2010 schrieb Simon Boulay:
On 01/09/2010 09:09 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
Am Samstag 09 Januar 2010 schrieb Dan McGee:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Tobias Powalowski<t.powa@xxxxxx>   wrote:
   >   Yes will change the install message.

Yes there is no mention in the changelogs, really strange.
greetings
tpowa

Ok like this?
   echo ">>>   Since kernel 2.6.29:"
   echo ">>>   Qemu package now provides standard qemu with kvm enabled."
   echo ""
   echo ">>>   PLEASE READ FOR KVM USAGE!"
   echo ">>>    Load the correct KVM module, you will need a KVM capable
CPU!" echo ">>>    Add yourself to the group 'kvm'."
   echo ">>>    Use 'qemu --enable-kvm' to use KVM."
   echo ""
   echo "With the release of qemu and qemu-kvm 0.12.X, the kqemu kernel
module" echo "is no longer supported and will be removed from the
repositories. You" echo "can safely uninstall it from your system."

Can we put some vercmp checks around messages like this? That way
people only have to see them once (when they upgrade the first time to
a 0.12.x version for the second message). The first message should
really be a post_install message.

And with all that said, why are there two packages in extra if "qemu
package now provides standard qemu with kvm enabled"?

-Dan

Yes sure i can add those vercmp stuff.
qemu and qemu-kvm is different.
qemu-kvm is only for  kvm while qemu provides much more machines to
emulate.

I'm not sure about that. Both seems to share the same code for machine
emulation; only the kvm stuff is different. In fedora 12, they build kvm
and qemu-system-xxx from qemu-kvm 0.11. But I don't know how this will
evolve in the future.
If qemu and qemu-kvm are used for different purposes, one may need to
install both apps side by side but that's not possible in archlinux.
Why?
qemu is for those who need more different emulation types.
qemu-kvm is only for 86 emulation with kvm hardware support.
Both differ in files you would need to hack bios file destination etc.
I don't see any need to install both at the same time.
Because one may want to use x86 emulation with kvm hardware support and qemu-system-arm for example on the same machine. It is possible to build all targets with qemu-kvm but that's not the default and I don't know if that'll be the case for future release. For 0.11 release, qemu and qemu-kvm seems to converge, but with 0.12 that's not so clear (at least to me). As I understand it, the development of platform emulation is done in qemu and kvm virtualization is done in qemu-kvm (even if qemu has some kvm support) but the qemu repository is regularly merged in qemu-kvm. I don't find any official statement about that, so...

greetings,
Simon.

greetings
tpowa