Re: network WTF

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
Thomas Bächler wrote:
David Rosenstrauch schrieb:
I'll take a look, thanks.

That said, not sure why it would be working on one laptop but not the other. Maybe there's an answer in one of those threads.

I was never able to scan as unprivileged user and I think you are not supposed to be able to do it! I don't understand this fuss about it at all.

The fuss is the resulting consequence that I mentioned in the 2nd part of my email:

> What makes this even more annoying is that apparently some of the wireless tools I'm using suffer from this restriction as well. So on the old laptop, kwifimanager and knemo show accurate info about the current connection (bit rate, link quality, etc.) while on the new laptop these come up empty.

Those tools, which work great on one laptop, are pretty much useless on the other one if they're not able to perform a scan.

DR

Looks like scanning is just a symptom. This appears to be more the crux of the issue:

[darose@daroselin ~]$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11  Nickname:""
          Access Point: Not-Associated
          Link Quality:5  Signal level:213  Noise level:169
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

tun0      no wireless extensions.

[darose@daroselin ~]$ sudo iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"<our ap name>"  Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:1B:2F:0C:BD:9E
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Managementmode:All packets received
          Link Quality=5/5  Signal level=-41 dBm  Noise level=-87 dBm

tun0      no wireless extensions.

Not sure what's causing the discrepancy here. Something in my driver? (Broadcom wl.) Have to look into this more ...

DR