Re: resurrecting srcpac

Dan McGee wrote:
> I agree, this is a smart move. My only real thought is why have
> anything in /etc/ at all? It would be great if this could all be done
> non-root for editing any config settings and such. Maybe ~/.srcpac/ or
> something?
>
> It also seems almost overkill to need another user to build packages,
> but not sure what to think about that. Anyway, great work with this.

As phrakture pointed out already root is needed for installing packages.

Keeping the configs below /etc is disputable though. You could also have them
in /var/{?} for example if that fits better.

The separate user is needed for the makepkg part of srcpac. Because your
invoke srcpac as root/sudo it has to drop privileges for the package build
process. Of course one could use an existing user (nobody?) and I said this is
merely a suggestion - however, the script has to drop privileges for the build
process in a way.

Regards,
    Michael

--