Re: texlive (again?)

Jan Spakula schrieb:
Proposal: Switch to texlive eventually officially (for now keeping
tex-related pkgs in community).

Switch? Isn't that your job?

How it can be done:
- from the dev side:
1) "officially" announce that the switch *is* going to happen.

There is no such thing as a "switch". You use what you install.

2) move tetex and all packages depending on it from extra to community
   (that's only: kile, latex2html, lyx, texmacs)
   (the trouble is that these makedep on tetex: evince, kdegraphics,
   yodl; but maybe just keep tetex on the build machine for a time
   being?)

We could make sure that either these packages depend on a virtual "tex" package that is provided by texlive or make texlive provide tetex.

As stated by you, nobody links against anything in tetex, they only need the tex compiler, so this would be a viable solution.

 - there's been on/off-going discussion about this on the forums
   (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=358172 - tomk has said
   "Regarding the possibility of bringing texlive into the official repos,
   there are currently two missing ingredients among the existing dev team:
   interest and time. AFAIK none of us is a habitual tex user, and that
   would be the first requirement."

Texlive is a bitch to maintain. Firmicus is willing to do it (he came into the TU team only for that). I appreciate that and will not move it out of community, for as long as he maintains it, we have it. The only thing we need to do is fix the dependencies for the aforementioned packages.