Re: mod_deflate and chunked encoding

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:54 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> So I understand from your reply that httpd is the only one resposible
>> for chunked responses, compressed or otherwise. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks for the info. ÂYou are sort-of correct. ÂThe backend can possibly
> optimize things by using chunked httpd as its own transport.
>
>> So a module like Passenger is expected to dechunk and pass the body
>> to httpd? As of this writing chunked responses are passing through
>> Apache if compression is not involved. Guess that works by luck, but
>> it is still not playing by the rules?
>
> Exactly. ÂI's put is as Passanger is expected to dechunk and pass the
> body *through* httpd.
>
> Try using mod_substitute/mod_sed on that response :)

I do not understand that one :).

If Passenger has to dechunk, and we want a chunked compressed
response, and Apache is the one responsible for doing that, how should
we signal Apache that we want compression and streaming for that
particular response.

Those modules you mentioned seem to do ordinary search and resplace.