Re: mod_deflate and chunked encoding

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/5/2011 12:31 PM, Xavier Noria wrote:
>
> httpd (conditionally) handles the chunking... the app generator's
> chunking is never used. ÂWhat *module* is installed in httpd? ÂI'm
> not familiar with the above.
>
> Only the entry point to httpd, e.g. mod_proxy, mod_wl, mod_ws, mod_jk
> mod_cgi or whatnot should ever dechunk. ÂThe response body must pass
> through httpd without any protocol (chunking) or headers.

Ah, interesting.

Phusion Passenger is an Apache module itself:

    http://www.modrails.com/

Passenger is the most used solution for production deployments in Ruby
on Rails nowadays.

So I understand from your reply that httpd is the only one resposible
for chunked responses, compressed or otherwise. Is that correct?

So a module like Passenger is expected to dechunk and pass the body
to httpd? As of this writing chunked responses are passing through
Apache if compression is not involved. Guess that works by luck, but
it is still not playing by the rules?

If whether the response has to be streamed or not is decided by the
application, which is the proper way to force httpd to stream, and
eventually also compress?

Use case is flushing the HEAD of HTML documents for dynamic pages
whose content generation is costly. So, while content is being
produced, the client is already fetching assets.

-- fxn

PS: Streaming is a new feature to be out with Rails 3.1, we are exploring
production setups that play well with compression.