Fwd: Re: Apache modify source code

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Oggetto: Re: Apache modify source code
Data: Mon, 16 May 2011 17:05:16 +0200
Mittente: marco <marcodisano@xxxxxxxxx>
A: Mark Montague <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Il 16/05/2011 16.56, Mark Montague ha scritto:
>  On May 16, 2011 10:49 , marco <marcodisano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I want to ask you if someone have tried to modify apache source code.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Can I modify code after installation or I need to recompile all
>> apache source files?
>
> Apache HTTP Server is written in C.  This means that you need to
> recompile anything that is affected by your modification.  If you
> modify the Apache core (httpd), you will need to recompile that
> binary.  If you modify an included module, you will need to recompile
> that module.  If you modify a third party module, then only that third
> party module will need to be recompiled.   Your software build system
> ("make" if you are using a Unix-like system) will track dependencies
> and recompile only the affected source files; you will then need to
> install the new binaries.
>

>> P.S: In particular I want to modify http_request.c file (and I want
>> to insert into it a routine called from ap_process_request() function).
I explain you what I have to do: I have a LAMP architecure and I want
that when an http request must be served, then the apache server (before
the request is served) send a signal to a different process (that
doesn't belong to apache, for example a process called X). Only after
the X process run, Apache can serve the request.
So the temporal sequence are:
            ----->httprequest---->Apache--->Xprocess--->Apache

I have seen that http_request.c file manage this situation; for this I
want to modify this file.

Can you believe that this problem can be solved without modify
http_request.c file?
Bye
Thanks for the answer