userdirs inaccessible after upgrade

I upgraded from ubuntu 9.10 to 10.10. Now my userdirs are inaccessible.

The access log reads:
"GET /~user HTTP/1.1" 403 506 "-"

The error log shows this error:
(13)Permission denied: access to /~user denied

I've tried chmoding to 711, 755 and 777, setting the group and/or owner to
www-data and nothing works.

Nothing has changed in my file permissions, ownership or apache2.conf from
before the upgrade so I don't understand what's going on here.

I've been messing with this for two days, found lots of people complaining of
this issue but the only ones that were solved were done by setting folder
permissions or ownership. I've tried all of those things.

I've done a a2dismod userdir - restart apache, then a2enmod userdir - restart
apache. Still no good.

My userdir.conf:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        UserDir public_html
        UserDir disabled root

        <Directory /home/*/public_html>
#                AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
                AllowOverride None
                Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
                <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
                        Order allow,deny
                        Allow from all
                </Limit>
                <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
                        Order deny,allow
                        Deny from all
                </LimitExcept>
        </Directory>
</IfModule>

Apache2.conf is the default from install with no modifications.

My /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin alleninmt@xxxxxxxxx

        DocumentRoot /var/www
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn

        CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

I even went so far as to completely remove apache2 and all config files, then
reinstalling. Still no luck.

I'm completely stumped here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Allen