Web Socket support

Are there any plans to add support for HTML 5 web sockets to Apache?

Specifically I'm interested in plans to add such support plus delegation of such requests to backend Java servlet engines, i.e. Tomcat, via mod_jk or some similar module. [mod_proxy_ajp unfortunately does not load balance as well as mod_jk.]

The alternative would seem to be to take Apache out of the picture entirely -- replacing it with an IP load balancer and relying solely on Java servlet engines for all responses. Today we use Apache primarily to handle authentication and load balance to Tomcat. Yes, we also let it serve static content, but if it cannot handle and load balance emerging protocols, then we may no longer have a place for it -- as we certainly can do authentication in Tomcat.

--
Jess Holle