Add HTTP header charset from HTML meta tag?

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to handle a body of existing HTML which is encoded inconsistently.  On the basis that the meta tag is likely to be correct, I'd like to use that to set the HTTP content-type header's charset.  I have Googled for solutions, and checked the module documents, and I don't see a way to do what I have in mind.  I found a number of ways to set the header, which seem to be "more correct" and would be fine in a better situation (.htaccess files, changing file suffixes, etc.), but the tangle of existing content, CMS, users and maintenance makes me lean toward a server-based solution.  Did I miss something obvious?

David.