Connection Issues

Hi,

We're experiencing some odd behavior regarding connections taking a
long time to establish to our website. We've been running Apache in
production for over three years now and have recently began
experiencing issues where the server-status page, static, and dynamic
content response times will slow anywhere from a few seconds to long
enough for the connection to timeout.

Initially thinking we might be hitting some hard limits with the OS,
we've thoroughly audited our sysctl variables, tried disabling
iptables and conntrack, and ensured that we're not running out of
ephemeral ports or anything along those lines. Looking at netstat, it
seems we have a pretty large number of connections in TIME_WAIT which
is understandable since this is a high traffic website, but I'm
wondering if this value could indicate we're backlogging on TCP
connections or something along those lines?

[root@RHL073 ipv4]# netstat -an | awk '/^tcp/ {A[$(NF)]++} END {for (I
in A) {printf "%5d %s\n", A[I], I}}'
34723 TIME_WAIT
    3 CLOSE_WAIT
  275 FIN_WAIT1
   74 FIN_WAIT2
 8824 ESTABLISHED
  815 SYN_RECV
  102 CLOSING
   30 LAST_ACK
   10 LISTEN

In an effort to tune things, I've tried playing with the TCP timeout
settings a bit, and the response times have improved somewhat. Please
note that I've been testing response times using the loopback
interface to rule out any ethernet hardware issues.

echo 15 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_recycle
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_reuse

We're running prefork, and have configured the client settings to what
seem to be reasonable limits for our hardware.

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       100
MinSpareServers    100
MaxSpareServers   200
ServerLimit       1500
MaxClients        1500
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000000
</IfModule>

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Travis