A newbie question about http post

I was having a debate with a friend of mine. Can you clear this up?

Is it true that I can do an http post to any apache/httpd server and
get it to upload a file? It would seem like an application should give
permission, or at least that httpd could be configured so that an
application needs to give permission.

In other words:

<form action="http://gmail.com/"; method="post" multipart="yes">
  <input type="file" name="big"/>
  <input type="submit" value="go"/>
</form>

Will the server accept and process all the gazillion bits of the file
even if no application has said it wants it?

I know it's probably a dumb question (he says it is) but it seems to
be such a big opening for a DOS attack that I can't believe it's
possible.

Thanks for any insights (or references where the answer is explained)

- Pito

--
Check out http://www.salas.com and http://www.blogbridge.com/look