Re: Memory Leak in Apache 2.2.14 on Windows Server

----- "Sumedh Kapoor" <Sumedh_Kapoor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Need pointers to resolve our production out of memory issues for the
> Apache 2.2.14 process running on Windows 2003 Server (64bit) with 16
> GB memory. This apache instance is used to load balance requests
> between 5 Apache Tomcat 6 instances. After running for a week, the
> apache server memory grows to about 2GB and then it hangs and no
> longer processes requests.
>
> Attached is the httpd.conf file used. Please review it for any
> possible misconfiguration.
>
> Currently searching on the web, we have identified following possible
> fixes:
>
> 1) Set the "MaxMemFree" directive to 128 instead of the default 0
> (unlimited).
>
> 2) Set the "MaxRequestsPerChild" directive to low value (1000) instead
> of the default. Is the default "0" (unlimited) or  10000? There seem
> to be conflicting values mentioned on the net.

The default as per documentation:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mpm_common.html#maxrequestsperchild
is 10000, but the default config:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/docs/conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf.in
sets it to 0.

> 3) Set the KeepAlive directive to off. This will result add to the
> latency though.

Why set it off?

> Any troubleshooting suggestions to resolve the memory leak would be
> really appreciated.

You could try mod_proxy_ajp instead of mod_jk and see if this makes a difference.

If you actually have some kind of application runingn with mod_cgi
(as the LoadModule lines suggest) I would propose you separate this,
running an httpd instance as backend, just like Tomcat.

This way you should be able to tell if it's the proxy or the Application
causing the trouble.

Once it hangs the interesting question is how it hangs. There's a couple of
Windows tools to get information about a program's state -- but I'm far away
from being anywhere near knowledgeable in the field - but there's others on
this very list who are. Everything sysinternals, is a good start :)

> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Sumedh

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
> recipient, please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further,
> you are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any
> other person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses.
> Infosys has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable
> for any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should
> carry out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys
> reserves the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or
> from this e-mail
> address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on
> the
> Infosys e-mail system.

Igor GaliÄ

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883