Setting CGI environment variables, dynamically, from httpd.conf leveraging exising variables

OS: Windoze httpd: 2.2.1.6

Hello everybody and thanks for taking the time to read this posting.

I apologize, in advance, if I'm a novice. I've looked extensively and have not found a solution -- perhaps I've completely misunderstood.

I need to instantiate a CGI environment variable $SMUSER with the contents of
an existing environment variable, say, $REMOTE_USER.

I'm testing with setenv.pl to display the CGI environment.

I've tried 3 techniques:

Technique 1: Rewrite
--------------------

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule .* - [E=SMUSER:%{$REMOTE_USER}]
RequestHeader set my_new_header %{SMUSER}e

        Result from my browser (setenv.pl):

        SMUSER=""

Question 1: The syntax is incredibly cryptic. Where might I look to help me understand the %, e, {} etc.

Mind you, it works for simple text:
RewriteRule .* - [E=SMUSER:test]

Result: SMUSER="test"
2. Technique 2: setenv DAVESETENV "text"

    Result: DAVESETENV="text"

But, I've read that this is only a static string.

http://www.usenet-forums.com/apache-web-server/10179-setenv-dynamic-variable.html

Technique 3. JkEnvVar.
-----------------------

If I've understood correctly, we can 'fool' HTTPD into thinking there
is a Tomcat behind and, therefore, use mod_jk.

Question 2: Am I correct ?

JkWorkersFile conf/workers.properties
JkEnvVar DAVEJKENVVAR "test"
JkLogFile "logs/mod_jk.log"
JkLogLevel debug

Result: nothing related to DAVE in the browser

Question 3: Which technique do you recommend and can you please give me a nudge in the right direction ?

Cdlt, Dave
--------