Re: suexec for another user

Phil Howard wrote:
By suexec wrapper, I mean a program you write which will be placed
where Apache expects to find suexec.  The real suexec will be moved to
somewhere else (maybe "real-suexec" in the same directory).  Your
program will know where it is (and probably hard code that).  Your
program gets control instead of suexec.  Your program can examine its
environment and decide either to not run suexec, or to run suexec (and
how to, perhaps fabricating a new environment for it), or to do
something else, instead (maybe bypass suexec and run programs itself).

I am no big programmer myself and I would rather not write something as
powerfull as full apache suexec replacement.

If you want to bypass some check that suexec normally does, you can,
as one approach, modify the environment to fake the situation such
that the check done by suexec does not have any effect.

I could not imagine way of fabricating environment for suexec to my  needs.

I have not programmed around suexec any, recently, so I have forgotten
the details of how it is run or configured.  I would read the
documentation and maybe even the source code to rediscover that (and
also review past suexec driven CGI programs I still have around from
when I did that).  I do not recall, right now, just what checks suexec
does.

I need just one thing: replace others writable tests by is_in_homedir
test - suexec does not solve, who could rewrite the code, but where the
code is located. My patch is rather naive and dirty proof of concept
right now, I will polish it a bit and post here.
I just wonder how others solve this as this should be very common problem...

David