Apache/Perl CGI intermittent missing POST data

   I've spent a few weeks trying to research through Google to find
others having this issue, but with no success. A few Apache-savvy
folks have recommended I do something with handlers that was way over
my head to figure out what's going on here, so please be gentle with
me - I may know how to configure a few virtual hosts and an SSL
server, but I'm not an Apache guru by any stretch.

   Basically what's happening is I have a small horde of Perl (not
mod_perl, just plain Perl) scripts which use the CGI.pm module to
parse out incoming CGI parameters and cookies, and about 2% of the
time when I get the POST data params from CGI they are a completely
empty collection. I can consistently reproduce this with a simple POST
form page to a simple Perl CGI script which dumps a set of static form
data (as in the form fields are hidden and therefore no data entry is
needed so I can just hit the submit button over and over again for
rapid testing) to the browser. Everything runs fine, no errors on the
server being reported, no error in the Perl script reported, just a
blank params collection about 2% of the time, seemingly completely at
random. Under high load and under low load there seems to be no
difference.

   This started happening about a year ago when I updated my Ubuntu
packages to the latest stable packages, and I'm currently running
Apache version 2.2.8 Ubuntu Stable with Perl version 5.8.8 and CGI.pm
version 3.15 - I'm not sure what other information or version numbers
might be useful to folks. I would have reported this as an Apache bug,
but they told me to come here and ask for advice from the user group
on how to tap into handlers and do an Apache-side debug about this
before proceeding to file it as a bug.

   Also, I'm sure a ton of you folks will recommend converting
everything to mod_perl2 and that's a very noble intention, but I
simply don't have the time to convert some 200+ scripts and deal with
the headache of making sure they're all working smoothly on a new
framework like that - not right now anyway. Maybe when I win the
lottery or my boss realizes that refactoring is a Good Thing (tm)
worth devoting man-hours on!

   Any advice or direction in figuring this out would be GREATLY
appreciated. Thanks!

- Tim Partee