Re: a chain of proxy servers

On Jul 27, 2010, at 12:01 PM, James Godrej wrote:

You need to go back to school and Apache documentation needs serious updates.
For non serious people such a documentation is ok.

James,

We're always very welcoming of new contributors on the Apache documentation mailing list. While we acknowledge that updates are always in order, your remark isn't exactly helpful, because it doesn't suggest what, specifically, you find to be problematic with the referenced document.

The example given is:

ProxyVia Off

That's the entirety of the example, because that's the full usage of the directive.

The document goes on to explain that possible settings, other than Off, include On, Full, and Block.

Itemizing each of these as separate examples, we could presumably say:

ProxyVia On

 - or -

ProxyVia Full

 - or -

ProxyVua Block

However, we do assume that readers of the documentation have some grasp of Apache configuration files, and can tell from the one example, and the itemized list of alternative values, what the directive would look like with each of the other possible settings.

Or, said differently, it's impossible to provide every possible example configuration, and so we assume that our readers are able to generalize. An inability to generalize documentation examples tends to lead to support situations where you're holding someone's hand through every configuration change, which is something we'd quite frankly like to avoid.

However, if you'd like to submit changes to the documentation, please feel free to do so. We prefer that diffs be against the 2.2 or trunk docs, rather than against 2.0, which is no longer the recommended version of our product.

Thanks.

--
Rich Bowen